20 October 2009

Hello from paradise!



Greetings from Anjuna beach, Goa! aka heaven on earth. Getting here was a bit miserable, however: three hour train ride, a fourteen-hour night bus ride (something like the knight bus in Harry Potter, but accompanied by vomiting Indians), and two more bus rides to get to the beach, the last one bedecked in shimmering tinsel and  blaring Hindi rap as Anne and I were literally shoved on by the door slamming behind us, it was so packed full. But once I reached the beach, that was all behind me. It is easy to forget the real world here in Goa. Ever since my arrival on Sunday, I have just been lounging around on the beach, eating when I want to, swimming when I want to, reading, journaling, napping...it is almost too luxurious to handle. I actually had second thoughts about continuing on to other places in India. Yesterday, we rented mopeds and scooted around Goa a little bit, which was a blast.

It was so freeing, flying down back country roads, lined with palm trees, the ocean in the distance. It is beautiful here. The beach I'm at has tons of other tourists, but that just means the food is better (but also more expensive). Since arriving, I've had pizza, a REAL cheese, lettace, tomato sandwich, fish and the BEST calamari last night, and french toast for breakfast this morning! After we finish this internet time, Anne and I are heading to the beach for some shell-searching and, of course, lounging in the sun (insert happy sigh here). Tomorrow is our last day in Goa; we're going to the famous Anjuna market in the morning, then hopping on a plane for Mumbai in the evening. One of Anne's best friends is from Mumbai, and her parents have invited us to stay for a bit. I was a bit nervous at first about visiting such a large metropolis, but a friend from this program has spent the past few days in Mumbai, and told me today over the phone that it is a great city, so I'm really looking forward to it. Hopefully I'll be able to post from there as well, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment