05 September 2009

I have some catching up to do...

I apologize for the lack of posts recently; I've had some computer issues. My screen stays black when I switch on my computer, so I've been relying on the library computers. I am very lucky, though, to have the help of the program coordinators here, who are helping me find an authorized Apple repair store nearby. Hopefully I won't be without my computer for too much longer. In the meantime, I've finally found a few minutes to post some pictures.

This is my Bharatnatyam teacher performing for us. She is amazing! I will be performing a dance (simple, but very beautiful, she says) at the very end of my stay here.


(photos by Amelia Jensen)
To the right is a spectacle cobra at the feet of Raj Kumar, a snake relocater. He goes into people's homes and removes snakes, like this one, and releases them back into the wild. We accompanied him on a snake release on the way to Nagarahole National Park. (I have to admit, I bolted when he let loose this particular snake.)

This is Raj Kumar showing us some tiger scat at Nagarahole. (photo by Amelia Jensen)

An elephant we came across on the way into the park.

A tiger paw print! Soon after we saw this, we were walking up a hill and heard (what I thought was) two distant gunshots. Our gun-toting guard signaled to Raj Kumar, who told us to group together and be very quiet. It was a very nerve-racking few minutes, but we soon found out what we heard was a TIGER GROWLING ABOUT 50 METERS AWAY FROM US!!! Apparently, we had only missed it by minutes, and it disappeared into the bushes and growled in warning!
After Raj Kumar was sure the tiger had left the area, he was walking around a located some fresh tiger urine, which he insisted everyone smell. This is me smelling it...very pungent, and a smell I will never forget.
After our hike through the forest, we went on a safari via bus and saw lots of deer, a couple of peacocks, parakeets, vultures, monkeys, and a couple of guys riding an elephant, but I have to admit nothing could compare to the tiger experience.

We climbed up Chumundi Hill (1,400 steps, I think, quite a workout) on the first day of the Ganesha festival, hence the colors and design on the ground. This was outside someone's house (everyone puts these outside their house; I think it is a sign of welcome). (photo by Amelia Jensen: I love this picture, Amelia). Hopefully once my computer is up and running, I'll be able to put up some more pictures from this day.

This is the temple at the top of Chumundi Hill. It was very busy when we went because of the start of the festival. It was pretty chaotic when we went inside, everyone pushing and rushing each other through so everyone could give their offerings to Chumundi, the goddess of Mysore, also known as Kali, I think. There was chanting and incense, some distant drumming, lots of praying, and LOTS of colors: gold, pink, red, yellow, orange, all swirling together as I was pushed through the temple. (photo by Amelia, again)
We visited two tribal schools and two tribal hospitals last weekend. One hospital and school were towards the outskirts of the jungle, and the other school and ayurvedic hospital were in the jungle. This is at the second school, waiting to eat lunch. (photo by Amelia; once again, once my computer is up and running I'll add my own pictures)

Eating lunch at the tribal school...very delicious. (photo by Jason Melrose)
This woman was from one of the nearby tribes; she heard we were coming and wanted to meet us. She didn't speak English, of course, so she was shy to even speak to us through a translator, but she was sweet. Her name was Putki, I think.(photo by Amelia)
Some camera-loving kids at the tribal school...they posed for us. (photo by Jason)


Our group outside the tribal school. The man in the middle (notice the dreads!!) was also from a nearby tribe and took us on a short walk in the forest. He could pick up a plant, talk for five minutes about what medicinal purpose they have for it, then pick up the next plant and describe it for ten minutes. We barely got into the jungle because he kept picking up a plant with every step he took. He also told us we were to delicate to escape stampeding elephants, which he was sure we would come across. It was absolutely amazing. We couldn't understand him, of course, but had someone telling us what he was saying. They had plants for burns, plants that would resist exposure to disease, plants for washing hair, plants for washing teeth. He possesses an incredibly expansive knowledge that is, unfortunately, being lost with each generation.(photo by Jason)
Some hibiscus outside the ayurvedic hospital. We ate them. (photo by Jason)
The day after the trip into the jungle, we visited a farm belonging to this man, Mr. Chandrashekhar. One of the first things he told us, which will stick with me forever, is that there is no such thing as a weed: it is only a plant we don't have a purpose for yet. 
As we were driving to his farm, the pavement stopped and became a dirt road, and the forest closed in around us. As we drove through the gate onto his property, I searched for an open area, or a sign of vegetables. We all piled off the bus and were greeted by Mr. Chandrashekhar, who asked us to remove our shoes as we walked through his farm. As he said this, he gestured towards the forest: the forest is his farm. He practices zero-farming, a method that basically requires him to spread seeds on the ground and he sees what happens next. His philosophy is that the plants support each other, not just through the enrichment of the soil, but by providing a limb for a vine, or some shade from the sun, or shelter from the monsoon rains so the smaller plants don't get flooded. The walk was incredible, and he, like the tribesman, could name all his plants, as well as tell us their uses, most of them being medicinal. (Needless to say, his farm is organic, as well.) After a couple of hours in his forest, we went to his store, where he sells goods he creates from the abudant plant-life on his farm: dried fruits, jams, coconut oil, teas, lots of medicinal herbs; I bought a few of these things, including tooth powder and soap.
The above picture is a trail through the farm.
This is me holding some (mating??) snails. The snails are actually very invasive, but Mr. Chandrashekhar doesn't bother trying to kill them. He will plant some things he knows they like in hopes that they go for those plants before his other plants. They actually ended up eating a species of insect that was ruining some of his crops, so they weren't so bad, after all. 
This was pretty incredible. These are red ants building a nest in a tree. They stack their bodies on top of each other in order to bunch the leaves together, then seal it with their eggs. They also eat all the aphids off the tree. It was amazing to watch them at work, but I'm not necessarily hoping to see one in my backyard. (all farm photos by Amelia)
So, that is about it for now. Tomorrow we are getting a tour of Mysore, something we have all been asking to do since we arrived. The main thing I am excited about is seeing the Mysore Palace, the landmark Mysore is known for. I, of course, have a lot more to say, but maybe (hopefully!) I will be able to post more pictures in the near future, therefore motivating me to type up a post as well. 
Namaskaar!

1 comment:

  1. Elli - your stories and pictures are amazing. I am totally jelous and so happy for you!!

    -Gretchen

    ReplyDelete